First Time Buyer Solicitor — Scotland
Have you been dreaming of buying your first home but don't know where to start? You need the help of a first-time buyer solicitor. At Watermans, our expert conveyancing solicitors for first-time buyers are happy to help you get into the property market in Scotland.
The Long of it
At Watermans, our expert estate agent and legal team are devoted to helping first-time buyers get on the property ladder with a simple legal process. We have helped thousands of people with their home-buying process and are here to help you begin your journey to becoming a new homeowner.
Buying a house for the first time and finally getting onto the property ladder can be extremely exciting! However, our first-time buyer solicitors also understand that it can seem quite daunting. With your first house purchase, you are likely feeling quite emotional and worried about finances, but this should not overshadow what should be a joyful part of your life.
Our property solicitors in Edinburgh are here to ensure that does not happen. We are dedicated to making sure that your house-buying experience is fully enjoyable and memorable for all the right reasons.
With Watermans, you are not alone. Our first-time buyer conveyancing solicitors understand the stress that comes along with the purchase price and other costs, and we simplify your property value for you.
How Watermans helps simplify the process of buying a house
Watermans cares about your new residential property just as much as you do. That’s why we provide a personalised and friendly service to make the legal process as stress-free and simple as possible. Our friendly and knowledgeable team will take on the following responsibilities:
- Help you navigate the property market, from your initial interest to the exchange of keys.
- Assist you in finding the best mortgage provider and get your Mortgage money in Principle.
- Provide a free, no-obligation quote for a First-Time Buyer Purchase Consultation.
- Give you a detailed overview of all the costs involved when buying your first home, including land registry fees and Land and Building Transaction Tax (Scotland’s form of stamp duty land tax).
- Explain the house-buying process in Scotland for a first-time buyer in simple, understandable terms.
- Register a formal Note of Interest and submit an offer on the residential property on your behalf.
When our solicitors give you a helping hand in securing your ideal property, we provide fixed-rate conveyancing fees with upfront and transparent costs. We will communicate with you throughout the entire process so you are constantly informed of all the costs and procedures.
Our fixed fee helps you understand what to expect in costs besides the purchase price so the final exchange of contracts runs smoothly. You’ll get the keys to your new home in no time. In the vast majority of purchases, we can also act on behalf of your mortgage lender.
Remember, being a first-time home buyer is exciting. We take the hassle out of the legal work so that you can enjoy this milestone experience.
Buying a Property in Scotland
With Watermans, becoming a first-time buyer in Scotland could not be easier. We have decades of experience in the Scottish property market and a deep understanding of all the legal requirements involved in the house-buying process.
We have extensive knowledge of Scotland’s cities, towns, and villages and all the residential areas therein. Whether it’s the land registry, the stressful exchange of contracts, or making sure your property is ready by the completion date, we’ve done it all.
This proves helpful in many ways, from providing comparison properties to deciding the right amount for a first offer and calculating land transaction tax. We share our knowledge so that we can help you find the perfect property.
We know what to look for and can cater to your needs and expectations in the conveyancing process. We provide a full house-buying service from start to finish, including the following:
- Explain information in the Home Report and other documentation in your contract pack.
- Help you understand complicated legal terms and the buying process.
- Determine the best amount to offer for your new home and secure the transfer deed.
- Use professional purchasing tactics and negotiate on your behalf until an offer is accepted.
- Complete the full conveyancing process with simple property buyer solutions.
By the time you exchange contracts, our conveyancing solicitors for first-time buyers will have made sure everything is in place.
Property Purchase Service
Whether you’re interested in a property for joint tenants, anxious about dealing with the seller’s solicitor, or stressed out about a mortgage offer, Watermans has your back. We handle all the legal details while you are moving house and ensure the process is stress-free so you can focus on the exciting parts.
As part of our property purchase service at Watermans, we will take care of the following responsibilities:
- Legal advice from a first-time buyer expert tailored to you and your ideal property.
- Professional advice on Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT).
- Professional advice on Additional Dwelling Supplement Tax (ADS).
- Price and property comparisons, looking at a range of similar properties.
- Location advice on the areas in Scotland that best suit your needs.
- Offering our inside knowledge of Scotland’s housing market, giving us a lead in price negotiations before the exchange of contracts.
- Our expertise in engaging with third parties in Scotland, instructing professionals on the property survey, dealing with mortgage lenders and your equity loan, and directing condition reports where necessary.
- All due diligence associated with buying a house in Scotland, such as land registry, communicating with the seller’s solicitor, perusal of Title Deeds, Reports, Plans, alterations, documents, and any other associated paperwork before the completion date.
We are here to help you with buying your first home, from joint ownership documentation and your mortgage application to seamlessly exchanged contracts.
Our first-time buyer solicitors guide you from your initial interest in a property right up to the exchange of keys. We update you when a house comes on the market that meets your requirements and assist you in finding a first-time buyer mortgage in Scotland that suits you.
At Watermans, we understand that buying a property is an important milestone in your life, and the process can seem quite daunting. However, we explain the property buying process in straightforward terms and handle the legal side of things for you.
Found a Property?
Have you found a property that appeals to you? Congratulations! Let us know, and we will send a formal Note of Interest on your behalf. Doing so ensures that:
- The estate agent, seller’s solicitor and seller are aware of your interest in the property.
- You get the opportunity to make an offer.
- You will be informed if there is a set closing date.
- We have time to advise and strategise for the purchase.
- We can find out how many other Notes of Interest have been submitted.
- We can gauge the level of competition and advise on the next steps.
When you are ready to submit an offer on your dream home, a Watermans solicitor for a first-time buyer will utilise their in-depth knowledge of the property market to help you seal the deal. Our team will review the current trends and use our expertise in the area to determine the best offer to submit, potentially saving you money in the conveyancing process.
Conveyancing for first time buyers can seem complicated at first, but Watermans makes it easy. We offer even further help for first time buyers in Scotland by taking on the following tasks:
- Implement a bidding strategy.
- Perform negotiations on your behalf.
- Liaise with you during negotiations so you are constantly kept informed.
- Create a plan of action just in case your offer is refused.
- Determine a strong counteroffer if required and advise you on the next steps.
- Complete the conveyancing process on the acceptance of an offer, ensuring the legal exchange of contracts.
- Celebrate the purchase of your new home with you!
We pride ourselves on simple first-time buyer solutions. Watermans will provide an expert conveyancing solicitor who will create a simple guide for a first-time buyer in Scotland so you know exactly what to expect throughout the process.
Our first-time buyer legal fees are designed to be as affordable as possible because we are committed to providing you with a stress-free process. Our solicitors for first-time buyers will handle all the legal work while you enjoy buying your dream home!
First-Time Home Buyer - FAQs
Once you’ve found the right property for you, it’s time to hire a solicitor for a first-time buyer. Contact Watermans, and we will discuss your property and the conveyancing fees involved.
In the past, first-time buyers received stamp duty land tax benefits. This is now known as Land and Buildings Transaction Tax exemptions. It offers a tax-free limit on first-home purchases.
If you are looking for a joint-tenant home, you may still be able to receive land transaction tax relief. You are eligible for a £600 discount on tax if both buyers are first-time home buyers. No tax is payable for purchases up to £175k for a first-time buyer in Scotland.
Most mortgage applications happen online. You can apply for a mortgage from a lender or mortgage broker.
A property chain is where a house sale depends on other sales. If it’s your first time buying a property, you will be at the bottom of the chain. The people above you in the chain have to buy a property before they sell you their house. If you are not a first-time buyer, you would sell your previously owned house to those below you on the chain.
Have another question for a first-time buyer solicitor? Request a callback from solicitors for first-time buyers from Watermans and discover the convenience of straightforward legal advice.
Get in touch with us
Everything we do at Watermans is about getting you the resolution you need and making that process straightforward. Start the process by sending us your details below or calling us on 0131 555 7055
"*" indicates required fields
Our property expert
“My clients would describe me as being approachable, down to earth and easy to get on with. This allows me to build relationships with my clients and provide straightforward legal advice without all the jargon.”
Shawn Wood, Head of Conveyancing