Accident Abroad Compensation — Scotland

It's the last thing that you want to happen, but it does. An accident abroad can occur when you are on holiday or working in another country, and making accident abroad claims against a foreign company or individual can seem daunting. Let us help you with claiming accident abroad compensation.

Get Your Life Back Together

"They looked out for me through the whole process. Watermans sorted out my physiotherapy and a personal injury settlement that has enabled me to get by life back together. A special thanks to Sam Donaldson and Stacey Moore who handled my claim."

M Mayaka, Personal Injury Claim

The Short of It

  • Accidents abroad can occur when you are on holiday,

    in a road traffic accident, or working abroad.

  • You may be injured physically and psychologically in an accident abroad,

    resulting in rising travel costs and loss of future earnings for you and your family.

  • At Watermans, we have a specialist team of foreign accident solicitors

    you need to claim compensation against a person or company who you feel is at fault for your accident abroad.

  • Everything we do at Watermans is about getting you the resolution you need

    and providing straightforward legal advice. It should be that simple.

  • The Long of It

    Accidents Abroad

    Accident abroad injury claims

    Whether you are jetting off on a dream holiday or visiting a foreign country for work, the last thing you want to happen is to be involved in an accident. Unfortunately, accidents can happen anywhere, and if it was someone else’s fault, you could be entitled to claim compensation.

    It is possible that you may be involved in an accident at your hotel, while on an excursion, whilst in the workplace,  or in a road traffic collision. Regardless of where or how your accident occurred, our accident abroad solicitors at Watermans can help.

    Do I qualify to make a claim?

    Depending on the severity of the accident in question, you may find that you may find that your injuries may be quite severe. You are entitled to claim compensation for injuries sustained abroad to cover medical expenses and loss of earnings experienced. If your holiday has been ruined because of an accident, you can make a compensation claim for those damages too.

    At Watermans, our expert legal team can advise you on whether or not you have a solid accident abroad claim and if your case can be dealt with in Scotland. We take care of all the legal stuff and provide you with straightforward legal advice on what steps to take in seeking the reparations you deserve.

    Making a Claim

    How do I make an accident abroad injury claim?

    We understand that making a claim for compensation for any reason can be a daunting task. It is even more overwhelming if you were injured abroad due to someone else’s negligence and the person or company you want to claim against is based in another country. If your accident abroad occurred due to the fault of another party, we can help.

    It is important to note that whilst in Scotland you have up to three years to make compensation claims. This may not be the case in the country where your accident on holiday occurred. That’s why it’s best to start the process of a holiday accident claim as soon as you can to increase your chances of being successful.

    You may find that you have physically suffered an injury abroad as a result of your accident, and either your holiday abroad or work trip has been ruined. This also makes your journey back to Scotland more difficult.

    Speak to one of our specialist injured abroad solicitors today. We can help you to formulate your compensation claim and take the hassle out of the legal stuff. It is our goal to get you the resolution that you deserve while making the compensation claim process as clear and easy as possible for you.

    Plus, we operate on a no-win, no-fee agreement, meaning that if we don’t succeed in winning your case, you don’t have to pay any solicitor fees.

    How Much Compensation?

    How much compensation can I claim for an accident abroad?

    As with all personal injury claims, the amount of compensation you could receive for a work or holiday accident claim will depend on the nature of the accident and the severity of your new circumstances.

    If you intend to make a holiday accident claim or you are looking to claim for a work injury abroad, compensation amounts could vary. In most instances, you may be entitled to claim compensation for a variety of things, including:

    • Medical treatment, rehabilitation and hospital expenses
    • Loss of earnings or earning capacity
    • Any future expenses as a result of the injury
    • Home modification and care expenses
    • Pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life

    Whatever your injury, you can be sure that Watermans will fight for the best possible outcome for your work or holiday accident claim.

    Why Watermans?

    Why should I choose Watermans to pursue my claim?

    Watermans make legal services look and feel easy so people can move forward in life.

    Our expert team is committed to doing everything to make the injury abroad claims process straightforward for our clients following an accident. An accidents abroad solicitor from our team will take the hassle from you and fight each case to secure the maximum level of compensation.

    Expert support for work and holiday accident claims

    In addition to ensuring your medical treatment and other expenses incurred due to your work or holiday accident are taken care of, Watermans goes the extra mile to make sure your recovery process is swift.

    We provide access to a range of additional services, such as physiotherapy and psychological treatment, to ensure you recover from your injuries as soon as possible and get your life back on track. A work or holiday accident compensation claim can be complicated, but we make it easy.

    Our expertise in personal injury covers a wide range of areas, including accidents at workpublic liability claimscar accident compensationfatal and serious injury claims, and cases relating to child and historical abuse.

    We represent thousands of clients throughout Scotland each year, securing millions of pounds in compensation for our clients. We work on a no-win, no-fee agreement, which means that if your accident abroad claim is unsuccessful, you won’t end up out of pocket with hefty legal fees.

    Accident Abroad Claims - FAQs

    If you were working abroad or on holiday when you were injured, you are responsible for making the claim or using a solicitor to assist you. A family member can also make the claim on your behalf if you are not well enough to do so. In the case of a fatal accident, a dependent can make a claim for compensation.

    You are eligible to claim for an illness you acquired while you were abroad, the same as you would be for a personal injury that happened while you were in your home country. However, you would need to provide evidence that you fell ill during your trip and not elsewhere, otherwise, your claim will be unsuccessful.

    In order to prove that a negligent party caused your injury, you have to have evidence to make a successful claim for work or holiday accident compensation abroad. This can be evidence of a lack of safety procedures at the accident scene, photographs, proof of medical expenses, witness statements, etc.

    For a claim to be successful, you will need to have evidence that a third party was at fault. However, if you are partly at fault, you can still make a claim for compensation. The only difference is that the amount you receive may not be as high.

    In Scotland, you have a time limit of three years from the date of the accident to make a claim. However, accidents abroad and international personal injury claims may have shorter time limits. If you were on a cruise ship when the injury occurred, you will usually have two years to make a claim for compensation.

    There are certain cases where there are no time limits to make your claim. It’s best to get in contact with a solicitor at Watermans as soon as possible to find out if you are eligible to make an injured abroad claim.

    If your injury occurred abroad and you want to make a claim, you will not necessarily have to travel to go to court. In fact, most accident claims reach a final settlement outside of court. Watermans will communicate with the international law firms involved in your case.

    If your accident happened abroad and you don’t have travel insurance, you can still make an accident claim. Your claim will only be successful if your personal injury abroad was not your fault. However, you may just have to pay for ongoing medical treatment depending on the severity of the injury while you are away if the case hasn’t been settled yet.

    Every compensation case is different for an accident that occurred abroad; some take years, while others may only take months. It depends on how serious your injuries are, the laws of the country you were injured in, and whether it is clear who was at fault or not.

    You will generally get paid for your claim once the case is settled. However, this also depends on your physical condition. If you require immediate medical attention and rehabilitation, you may be paid sooner. Watermans works hard to ensure you have access to interim payments in serious cases of injury or when there is sufficient proof that you are financially suffering.

    Holiday accidents work a bit differently than independent traveller accidents. If you were injured whilst on a package holiday, you could make a claim against the package holiday provider, tour guide, or the UK-based travel agent you worked with. However, you would have to prove that the tour operators were negligent at the accident scene and there were insufficient health and safety standards in place.

    If there were no tour operators or package holidays involved, you may still be able to make a claim for accidents while travelling abroad. However, the success of your claim will depend on who was responsible for the accident and if negligence was the case of your injury.

    You can still receive compensation for accidents abroad if you were in a car accident. However, there are many different variables to consider, including whether you were the one driving or you were using public transport. If the other driver was responsible for your injury, it is likely that their car insurance will pay out your compensation for a road traffic accident abroad.

    It’s important to ensure that the police arrive as soon as possible, that you get the contact details of all other drivers involved, and you get a report of the accident. Take photos at the scene if you can, and get as much information from the other driver as possible to help your case.

    At Watermans, we are dedicated to ensuring the success of your claim abroad, whether you were there for business or pleasure. Accidents abroad claims can, however, be unsuccessful at times due to a lack of evidence or differences in laws. If that happens, you will not receive compensation.

    However, Watermans works on a no-win, no-fee basis — if you lose your personal injury claim abroad, you won’t have to pay us any fees.

    If you have any more questions about personal injury claims abroad, feel free to complete an enquiry form.  Our expert injured abroad claims solicitors will get back to you with accident abroad claims advice as soon as possible.

    How much could you claim?

    The figures quoted are a rough guide to show you the amount you could receive as compensation for your injury. Our solicitors will advise you in more detail about your specific claim.

    Your claim could be worth...

    Claim Worth

    The figures quoted are a rough guide to show you the amount you could receive as compensation for your injury. Our solicitors will advise you in more detail about your specific claim.

    "*" indicates required fields

    Get in touch with us

    Everything we do at Watermans is about getting you the resolution you need and making that process straightforward. Start the process by sending us your details below or calling us on 0131 555 7055

    "*" indicates required fields

    Our personal injury claims expert

    “Making a claim for compensation can be such a daunting process for people, so I try to make it as straightforward and easy to understand as I can for them.”

    Susanne McGraw, Head of Personal Injury