Claims Against Uninsured Drivers

Car insurance is a legal requirement in place to protect road users – and it’s a criminal offence to drive without being insured. Sadly thousands of people continue to go behind the wheel without insurance. If you’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, you could be due compensation. 

There were 15,846 claims reported against 11,198 uninsured drivers last year. The Motor Insurance Bureau paid out £256 million in compensation to people involved in accidents with an uninsured party.

Whether you’re a driver, passenger, or a pedestrian involved in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, you may be entitled to compensation. The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) Uninsured Drivers Agreement provides a route for the injured party in uninsured driver accidents to claim compensation.

If you want to start a claim against an uninsured driver, we will guide you through the entire process and assist in submitting your application. MIB will then investigate and assess compensation based on your individual circumstances.

Please call us on 0131 555 7055 for a free no-obligation consultation and we’ll be happy to assist you. Or you can contact us through our form.

Uninsured Drivers – Frequently Asked Questions

If you have been in an accident involving an uninsured driver, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

The first step is to contact us for a free no obligation consultation. As soon as we’ve got the details we will confirm if you’re entitled to claim.

Once you’ve been through the initial steps, we will handle everything on your behalf and contact the person responsible for your accident to let them know you are seeking compensation for your injuries and any associated accident damages. We will keep you updated on the progress of your claim at all times so you don’t have to worry about anything.

The standard cut-off date for making a personal injury claim is 3 years from the date of the accident. However, there are some exceptions to this rule:

  • Mental Capacity – if the person involved is incapable of making a claim themselves, there’s no cut-off date, until they regain full ability to do so.
  • Children – claims involving children under the age of sixteen have until their 19th birthday.
  • MIB – if the vehicle/driver which caused the damage/injury was uninsured you may have a right to claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB). The cut-off date for pursuing a claim against the MIB is usually 3 years from the date of the accident.
  • Criminal Injuries – if your injuries were caused deliberately (i.e. the vehicle was used as a weapon), you may have a separate right to claim under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). The cut-off date for creating a claim through the CICA is 2 years from the incident.

Every case is completely different, and several factors influence how quickly your claim is

settled. For example, the severity of injuries is a big aspect and also whether details for the vehicle and driver responsible can be traced. Unfortunately accidents where the driver responsibility is uninsured usually take much longer.

The amount of compensation you’ll be able to claim for as a victim of an uninsured driver can vary considerably. If you were in your vehicle at the material time your injuries may be minor. If you were a pedestrian, it is likely that your injuries will be more serious. Either way the collision is likely to have caused you significant pain, discomfort and inconvenience.

When injuries are more significant, the compensation can be a lot of higher because of the impact the injuries will have on your lifestyle, work and even personal relationships.  In such cases, the compensation received will support you throughout recovery and long after your claim to make sure you receive the appropriate treatment, support and rehabilitation.

Our personal injury compensation calculator will help you estimate the amount you may be able to claim for. However, the figures should be taken as a guide.

For a complete and accurate analysis of your hit and run road traffic accident claim, please phone us on 0131 555 7055. Or contact us through our form.

If the driver who caused the accident refused to provide insurance information as the scene it is imperative that you make a formal complaint to the police. You should also consult your own policy of insurance and notify your own insurer of the accident if you are required to do so. You must provide as much information as possible regarding the driver and the vehicle concerned.

If you have comprehensive motor insurance for your vehicle and the vehicle which caused the damage/property damage is uninsured, you may have to submit a claim for any repairs via your own insurer. If you are able to present enough information to the MIB in support of your claim, they will consider a claim for personal injury as a result of an accident involving an uninsured driver.

You may be able to claim for compensation after an accident involving an uninsured driver whether you were the other driver, motorcyclist, passenger, a cyclist or a pedestrian. If you’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver and you weren’t at fault you may have a right to be compensated for:

  • Medical costs
  • Loss of earnings
  • Any other expenses incurred due to the accident.
  • You might even be able to claim if you were partially responsible for the collision. However, in these cases, the compensation awarded will be lower in value, due to your involvement.