I Have Been Involved in A Car Accident: What Do I Do Next?

Involvement in a road traffic accident can be a shock to the system. We use our vehicles every day to travel to work, take the kids to school and go to the shops, and often don’t think about what would happen if we were to be involved in a collision. However, accidents can and do happen, and it is important to know how to handle the situation if it were to arise.

It is important to remain calm in the event of an accident, and immediately switch off the engine of the vehicle you are travelling in. Next, assess your physical condition and check for injuries to yourself and any other passengers. If there are any serious injuries, a risk of fire, or a risk of further collisions, call the emergency services immediately.

Once you have assessed the situation, and you have safely exited the vehicle, the next steps you need to take are as follows.

Speak with the other driver

Collect as much information from the other driver as possible, including vehicle registration, insurance details and personal details, like their name, address, and phone number. If there were any witnesses to the accident, try to take their contact details too.

If you were involved in a single car collision, and you cause any damage to a parked vehicle or a residential property, it is important to leave your insurance and contact details at the scene for the owners of the damaged property.

Record photographic evidence of the scene

Use your smartphone to take photos and videos of the accident scene. Be sure to capture the position of the vehicles, all damage to the vehicles, and any signs of how the collision may have happened, including skid markings on the road surface.

Note the date and exact time of the accident, the driving conditions and the make and model of the other driver’s vehicle.

Contact your insurance provider

Even if you do not plan to make an insurance claim, it is important that you report the accident to your insurance company. If you were involved in a collision with another driver, they may decide to make a claim against you without you knowing.

Contact your GP

If you have been injured in the accident, visit your GP or local hospital as soon as you can. By seeking medical treatment as early as possible, you will not only help ease your symptoms, but you may also assist in the speed of your recovery by receiving appropriate treatment.

When you visit a medical professional, they will document your medical records to reflect the fact that you have sustained injuries in the crash and any treatment you have received because of them. These records can subsequently be examined in any personal injury claim that you may wish to make in the future.

Should I call the police?

It is important to notify the police about the accident if you think that

  • The other driver deliberately caused the crash
  • The other driver may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol

If the other driver flees the accident scene without giving you their details, this is classed as a hit and run accident, and you should call the police immediately.

Why should I contact a solicitor?

All road users can claim for compensation following a road traffic accident that wasn’t their fault. You have a right to be compensated for any physical or mental suffering, loss of earnings, and medical expenses that you have experienced as a result of being involved in the accident.

At Watermans, we understand how daunting it can seem to make a financial compensation claim, but we are here to help. We offer straightforward legal advice so that you know where you stand throughout the whole legal process. We also work on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning that if we don’t succeed in winning your case, you don’t have to pay any solicitors fees.

Our specialist car accident solicitors will act on your behalf to seek the compensation you deserve, be it for injuries sustained or damage to your vehicle. We take the hassle out of the legal side of things, so that you can concentrate on moving forward with your life.

Contact our team using the form below, to start your compensation claim today.

Get in touch with us

Everything we do at Watermans is about getting you the resolution you need and making that process straightforward. Start the process by sending us your details below or calling us on 0131 555 7055

"*" indicates required fields

Our personal injury claims expert

“I enjoy the challenge of putting my clients back in a position they would have been in, had they not been unfortunate to suffer an accident through no fault of their own.”

John Dillon, Head of Dispute Resolution