Call 24/7 0131 555 7055

Hit and Run Accident Compensation Claims

A hit-and-run accident is the term used where a vehicle hits an object or person, and the driver leaves the scene without stopping and fulfilling their obligations. A hit and run is a criminal offence, even if it doesn’t involve another person.

Victims of hit and run accidents can still seek compensation, even if they do not know any details about the vehicle or driver which caused it. The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) Untraced Drivers Agreement provides a route for the injured party in hit and run accidents to claim compensation for the injury or damage caused by a person who cannot be traced.

We will guide you through the entire process and assist in submitting your application, and then the MIB will investigate and assess compensation based on individual circumstances.

To find out more on hit and run accident claims and how to start one, please contact our no win no fee solicitors, who are experienced in dealing with hit and run accidents. You can contact them on 0131 555 7055 for a free evaluation of your circumstances. Or, you can contact us through our form.

Who can make a hit and run accident compensation claim?

You can claim for compensation after an accident whether you were the driver, passenger, a cyclist or a pedestrian injured by another car, a motorbike or even a horse. The same is true where your car has been hit by another vehicle which has fled the scene or alternatively where you are a pedestrian hit by a vehicle which has fled the scene.

If you’ve been involved in a hit and run accident and you weren’t at fault you have a right to be compensated for:

  • Medical costs
  • Loss of earnings
  • Any other expenses incurred due to the accident.

You might even be able to claim if you were partially responsible for the collision. However, in these cases, the compensation awarded will be lower in value, due to your involvement.

What information I may need to pursue a claim after hit and run?

In order to pursue a claim against the MIB you must attempt enquiries to identify the vehicle/driver responsible. You must provide as much information as possible regarding the driver and the vehicle concerned. You must report the hit and run incident to the police within 5 days of the accident. For claims for injury you must report the incident to the police within 14 days.

If you have comprehensive cover then your own insurer ought to deal with your vehicle damage claim. You should also refer to your policy documentation in terms of whether you must report the accident to your own insurer.

How much compensation can I claim for a hit and run accident?

The amount of compensation you’ll be able to claim for as a victim of a hit and run can vary considerably. If you were in your vehicle at the material time your injuries may be minor. If you were a pedestrian, it is likely that your injuries will be more serious. Either way the collision is likely to have caused you significant pain, discomfort and inconvenience.

When injuries are more significant, the compensation can be a lot of higher because of the impact the injuries will have on your lifestyle, work and even personal relationships.  In such cases, the compensation received will support you throughout recovery and long after your claim to make sure you receive the appropriate treatment, support and rehabilitation.

Our personal injury compensation calculator will help you estimate the amount you may be able to claim for. However, the figures should be taken as a guide.

For a complete and accurate analysis of your hit and run road traffic accident claim, please phone us on 0131 555 7055. Or contact us through our form.

How long will it take before I receive compensation?

Every case is completely different, and several factors influence how quickly your claim is settled. For example, the severity of injuries is a big aspect and also whether details for the vehicle and driver responsible can be traced. Unfortunately accidents where the vehicle and driver are untraced usually take much longer. When liability is in dispute, or where the driver/vehicle is located but was uninsured, it will usually take much longer for your claim to settle.

How long do I have to make a hit and run accident claim?

The standard cut-off date for making a personal injury claim is 3 years from the date of the accident. However, there are some exceptions to this rule:

  • Mental Capacity – if the person involved is incapable of making a claim themselves, there's no cut-off date, until they regain full ability to do so.
  • Children – claims involving children under the age of sixteen have until their 19th birthday.
  • MIB - if the vehicle which caused the damage/injury was uninsured or is untraced you may have a right to claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB). The cut-off date for pursuing a claim against the MIB is usually 3 years from the date of the accident.
  • Criminal Injuries – if your injuries were caused deliberately (i.e. the vehicle was used as a weapon), you may have a separate right to claim under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). The cut-off date for creating a claim through the CICA is 2 years from the incident.

How do I start the hit and run compensation claim?

The first step is to contact us for a free no obligation consultation. As soon as we’ve got the details we will confirm if you’re entitled to claim.

Once you’ve been through the initial steps, we will handle everything on your behalf and guide you through the entire process.  We will assist you in submitting your application to MIB, which will then investigate and assess compensation, based on your circumstances. We will keep you updated on the progress of your claim at all times so you don’t have to worry about anything.

Questions? Get in touch?

You can reach us on 0131 550 7055 to arrange a free consultation or begin an accident injury claim on-line.