The terms ‘Slips, Trips and Falls’ refers to accidents that occur in public places including on pavements, in hospitals, schools, supermarkets, sports centres, and playgrounds. Slips, trips and falls are often more serious than they sound and in 95% of occasions result in broken bones.

Public organisations must ensure that their buildings, sites and premises are safe to use. Roads and pavements are key areas in this regard, as the majority of fall claims arise from defective pavements and potholes in public highways.

Most common types of slip and trip accidents

Slips and trips can happen anywhere, whether it’s a workplace or a public building. Most common slip and trip accidents occur in offices, factories, warehouses, construction sites, supermarkets and shopping centres. The risk of slipping and tripping gets higher in public use buildings or places where large numbers of people engage in various tasks at the same time.

Some of the most common workplace slips and trips include:

  • Slipping on a wet floor, e.g. supermarket
  • Slipping on spillages
  • Tripping over frayed or damaged tiles
  • Tripping over an object left in an inappropriate place
  • Slipping or tripping due to poor or defective lightning
  • Slipping or tripping on damaged or unsafe stairs

The Health and Safety regulations including the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 protect employees against slips and trips in the workplace.

Employers and property owner’s responsibility

Employers and property owners have a responsibility to protect their employees and the public from the risk of having an injury by ensuring that the public use facilities and work environments are safe and fit to use. If they fail to do so, they may be liable for trip or fall compensation due to the injuries and any inconveniences caused by your accident.

Effects of slip or trip accidents

Most slips and trips result in relatively minor injuries requiring minimal time off work, but there are occasions where they lead to long lasting, permanent disability. These life changing accidents have a huge impact both on the injured person as well as their families especially when the person injured has to take time off work. In these instances, compensation can help cover some of the costs associated with any specialist care you may require and improve your financial situation.

If you suffered a slip, trip or fall that was caused by someone’s negligence on the part of a local authority, public body or employer contact our slip, trip and fall solicitors for a free consolation and assessment of your circumstances.

Slips & Trips - Frequently Asked Questions

The first step is to contact us for a free no obligation consultation. As soon as we’ve got the details, we’ll confirm if you’re entitled to claim.

Once you’ve been through the initial steps, we will handle everything on your behalf and contact the responsible organisation to let them know you are seeking compensation for your injuries and any associated accident damages. We will keep you updated on the progress of your claim at all times so you don’t have to worry about anything.

A strict three-year time limit applies to making slip and trip accident claim in Scotland. Therefore, it is important to ensure you make a claim as soon as possible to secure your best chance of receiving compensation for your injuries. However, there are some exceptions to this rule:

  • Mental Capacity – if the person involved is incapable of making a claim themselves, there’s no cut-off date, until they regain full ability to do so.
  • Children – claims involving children under the age of sixteen have until their 19th birthday.
  • Criminal Injuries – if your injuries were caused deliberately, you have a separate right to claim under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). The cut-off date for creating a claim through the CICA is 2 years from the incident.
  • Accidents Abroad – closing dates differ from country to country. However, you will still be able to make a claim within three years from the accident under Scottish law.

In most instances, you may be entitled to compensation for variety of things including:

  • Medical, rehabilitation and hospital expenses
  • Loss of earnings or earning capacity
  • Any future expenses as a result of the injury
  • Home modification and care expenses
  • Pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.

If you have suffered a personal injury from a slip and trip accident there are necessary steps you must take for your claim to be successful. It is important to make sure any injuries sustained from the accident receive immediate medical attention. Not only for health reasons, but also because medical records and receipts are crucial evidence in your claim further down the line.

You should also report the accident to he relevant departament as soon as possible. By making a health and safety record of the event, you’re providing yourself with additional proof, making your claim process easier.

Anyone who was injured in a slip and trip accident through no fault of their own can claim for compensation.